Indonesia – Transformation Groups
“I am Budiwasa. I am 38 years old and I am a teacher. I love my Transformation Group. I can use the savings for school fees and household goods. My knowledge is increasing about Bible stories, health and a lot of articles to make me better.”
In Indonesia, societal expectations and a poor economy often put women at a disadvantage in the labor market. Because of discrimination, women have unequal access to vocational training and employment. (source: ILO)
In Indonesia Transformation Groups (part of our Economic Empowerment work), She Is Safe trains and supports local co-workers to assist 12-15 women to create and manage savings and lending pools. Group members meet weekly to gain financial, social, and spiritual development. Transformation Group leaders also provide training in literacy, leadership skills, health and hygiene, vocational skills, and basic human rights.
Members support each other through the successes and challenges of life. Transformation Groups help to create role models of industry and dignity, and their daughters have a better future in store.
Why Transformation Group Are needed in Indonesia:
- Women have limited control of decisions directly related to them, such as healthcare (IRIN News)
- An estimated 156 bylaws in Indonesia discriminate against women (Jakarta Globe)
- Women are more vulnerable to chronic poverty due to persistent gender inequities in income distribution (UN Women Report)
Last Year’s Economic Empowerment Outcomes Worldwide:
- 5,462 women in self-help groups received skills training, participated in group savings, learned about health and nutrition and heard the gospel.
- 759 women in self-help groups received further vocational training.
- 422 women gained additional literacy training.
Click HERE to support Indonesia Transformation Groups!
Notice: She Is Safe is a registered 501(c)(3) charitable non-profit (EIN: 22-3886094). 100% of your gift is tax-deductible. If a designated account becomes over funded, SIS stewards funds where most needed.