India – Transformation Groups
“I have started to ask Jesus to help me. Through my Transformation Group, He has done miracles in my life. Now my husband has changed and started to support the family and we have repaid our debts.”
Almost 1/3 of the India’s population of more than 1.1 billion live below the poverty line, and a large proportion of poor people live in rural areas. A major cause of poverty among India’s rural people, both individuals and communities, is lack of access to productive assets and financial resources. Women in general are the most disadvantaged people in Indian society. ( IFAD)
In India Transformation Groups (part of our Economic Empowerment work), She Is Safe trains and supports local co-workers to assist 12-15 women to create and manage savings and lending pools. Group members meet weekly to gain financial, social, and spiritual development. Transformation Group leaders also provide training in literacy, leadership skills, health and hygiene, vocational skills, and basic human rights. Members support each other through the successes and challenges of life. Transformation Groups help to create role models of industry and dignity, and their daughters have a better future in store.
Why Transformation Group Are Needed in India:
- India has the worst of the G-20 major economies for women. (Reuters)
- There are over 200 million illiterate women in India. (Women of the World)
Last Year’s Economic Empowerment Outcomes:
- 5,462 women in self-help groups received skills training, participated in group savings, learned about health and nutrition and heard the gospel.
- 759 women in self-help groups received further vocational training.
- 422 women gained additional literacy training.
Click HERE to support India Transformation Groups!