The statistics are unimaginable –
- $32 billion was made by slave traders last year.
- 18.5 million slaves are in India, mostly women and children.
- 99% of all sex slaves are female.
Human Trafficking – or modern slavery – is a global threat that touches nearly every country of the world.
The State Department defines human trafficking as a crime in which force, fraud or coercion is used to compel a person to perform labor, services or commercial sex. It affects all populations: adults, children, men, women, foreign nationals and U.S. citizens, and all economic classes. Read more details at: https://www.state.gov/j/tip/what/index.htm.
Since the beginning of She Is Safe in 2002, we have forged partnerships and programs in high-risk communities in nine countries to effectively prevent girls from being sold, while we raise awareness in the U.S. about the realities of human trafficking and provide tips for safety.
Through an integrated process of raising awareness, developing income generating skills, saving and lending, training in abuse and trafficking prevention with the gospel –
- 20,665 high-risk individuals were able last year to build lives that stand strong against abuse and slavery.
- An additional 60,232 boys and girls gained Tips to Safety, a Hotline for help, underthings and much needed school supplies.
But our job is not done.
The reality in 2019 is that the overwhelming majority of trafficking is perpetrated against impoverished girls and women in India and its neighboring countries.
We need your help for more women and girls to be free this year.
Very few people are aware that girls and women in slums, source villages, red light districts, and refugee camps live in a state of emergency. We are thankful for informed partners like you who care, pray, give and share to help girls build lives of freedom and faith.
- Learn more about modern slavery and the harsh challenges girls face in least reached places. Gain insights into the impossible choices they are forced to make each day. Discover more here on the Issue tab.
- Join us in helping more girls be safe, free and equipped. Click on the Engage tab to learn how to use your unique gifts and connections to serve the least-reached women and girls. You will learn how to begin an advocacy group in your area to help battle abuse and slavery among women and girls.
- Give to help train local leaders in each country where She Is Safe works.
Did you know as little as a $1 a day can help make one girl safe and free?
Thank you for prayerfully considering how you will specifically help girls be safe, free and equipped in this New Year.