Read to Rescue
Through sponsored reading, you can help rescue girls from abuse and slavery around the world.
An eleven-year-old friend of She Is Safe learned that girls could be sold and enslaved. She prayed a heartbroken prayer for God to give her an idea of something she could do – and God answered her prayer: Kids As Sponsored Readers.
Children now have a way to help rescue girls through SIS by reading books. They ask people to sponsor them at $5 for each book they read in a month. Since it costs about $1 a day for a girl to experience freedom and new life, six books can mean an entire month of rescue, prevention or restoration.
Whether it’s one kid, a class or a youth program, it’s easy to Read to Rescue. Just follow these steps:
- Plan: How many books can you read in a month? Write down the number of books. Decide when you’ll start and finish. Then visit our Work page and pick a place you want to rescue girls.
- Register: Simply send an e-mail to ReadtoRescue@SheIsSafe.org. Let us know your name, address, reading time, and the country that you want to read for. We’ll send you some ideas to help you get started.
- Recruit: Your Read to Rescue team will learn about what you’re reading, support the work that you care about, and join you in spreading the word. Recruit them by sending out e-mails, talking to people at church, throwing a party, and calling your friends and family. Give each sponsor a Read to Rescue Card so that they can send in their donations. You don’t have to collect or mail in their donations. By using your participant name, your team can donate online, by mail, or over the phone, and we will send them receipts for their donations.
- Read: Get out there and accomplish your goal! When you finish, let your team know, and they can celebrate with you.
If you, your class, or your church’s children program would like to Read to Rescue, here are a few resources to help you get started:
- Read to Rescue Video
- Read to Rescue Brochure
- Read to Rescue Cards (Print out two-sided on printable business cards such as Avery 28877)
- Read to Rescue Sponsor Pledge Sheet
Contact us at ReadtoRescue@SheIsSafe.org to learn more about Read to Rescue and other opportunities.